Book Review: Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

hyperbole and a half cover

 Title: Hyperbole and a Half

Author: Allie Brosh

Rating: 5 Stars

Genres: Humor, Memoir

During one of my trips to the local bookstore, I noticed Hyperbole and a Half’s bright, yellow cover surrounded by the muted greys and blacks of other recent titles. As a fan of the website with the same name, I knew I had to pick it up. Especially when the back cover’s description reads as magical as this:

hyperbole back cover

For those not familiar with her blog, Allie Brosh irreverently depicts her life’s events and situations with illustrated stories in a purposefully simplistic style. Pro-tip: Because of the simplicity, she’s possibly the best at bringing the young, stubborn, and frequently one-track child perspective to life convincingly.

The Hyperbole and a Half book mixes both new and previously featured stories. A couple of my (and fan) favorites that made it in include “The God of Cake,” “Dinosaur (The Goose Story),” and “This is Why I’ll Never be an Adult.” My favorite book-exclusive story is titled “Warning Signs,” in which Brosh hilariously replies to a letter she wrote as a 10 year old to her adult self.

godofcake”The God of Cake” has an almighty NEED

While one of my favorites, “The Alot is Better Than You at Everything,” didn’t make it in, that just makes me hope there will be a sequel. *Fingers crossed* Either way, I’ll be revisiting the book and blog quite a few times.

Also good to note, this book is printed on wonderful paper! It’s meant for images. It isn’t your low-quality, sometimes-smudgy paper that will die unless carefully preserved in plastic. No, this paper will last a long time. Bonus: The paper makes the book hefty so you can bludgeon anyone who makes the mistake of trying to destroy you laughter times by stealing it.

Allie Brosh

FIND HYPERBOLE AND A HALF
& ALLIE BROSH ONLINE:
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment