Movie Review: The Campaign


Title:  The Campaign
Rated:  R
Genre:  Comedy
Director:  Jay Roach
Writers:  Chris Henchy, Shawn Harwell
Stars:  Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Sudeikis, Dylan McDermott, John Lithgow, Dan Aykroyd
Rating:  3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
When four-term Congressman Cam Brady (Ferrell) makes a political faux pas, the rich Motch brothers (Lithgow and Aykroyd) see an opportunity to fund a rival politician that will allow their shady business practices. Who do they choose? None other than Marty Huggins (Galifianakis), the oddball son of a local politico legend. As election day closes in, campaign tactics get more outlandish with each candidate fighting for the top of the polls.

My Thoughts:
The Campaign
does its best at political satire without actually getting very political. The main focus, instead, is placed with the characters and outrageous media scandals. We see everything from manufactured public images and attack ads to sex scandals and baby punching. Some of the gags hit close to reality, while others push farcical.

While I love Ferrell and Galifianakis, my favorite was Dylan McDermott, who plays Huggins’ evil-ish campaign manager. He creepily appears behind candidates, is foul-mouthed, and a super jerk. Next to the happy-go-lucky Huggins family, he becomes a hysterical opposing force.

McDermott being all evil ninja in the backseat


From the ads and my favorability towards the cast, I expected The Candidate to be full of strong laughs. However, I found it to be a more subtle amusement for me. There are a few lowball laughs, but most of the funny parts didn’t even get a chuckle from me. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it, which I did. It just wasn’t as funny as I expected.

That being the case, I would still highly recommend this film to fans of Ferrell and Galifianakis. Both play their typical roles to their strengths. Just don’t expect it to be the best you’ve seen from either of these actors.

What did you think of The Campaign? Tell me in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment