Music Monday: A Frontman Disembarks

Three Days Grace lead singer, Adam Grontier, has resigned. I’ve read conflicting reports about why; some say he left for health reasons, others say to pursue different projects. I’m hoping it’s the latter. While Three Days Grace has always seemed like a generic rock band, I’ve always loved their music more than that. I can’t quite put my finger on why, but I think Adam Grontier’s voice is a big part of it.

Replacing Grontier is Matt Walst, frontman of My Darkest Days and brother of Three Days Grace’s bass guitar player Brad Walst. Currently, statements point to this being a temporary replacement just for the upcoming tour.

Here’s Matt Walst singing Three Days Grace’s new track, Chalk Outline:


And here’s the original with Adam Grontier on vocals:


I don’t think Walst does a bad job covering, but his voice just doesn’t have the same tones that Grontier does. If this becomes less temporary than indicated, it will definitely take some getting used to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment